New Delhi: Arunachal Pradesh Congress MLA Nido Pavitra on Wednesday said the CBI enquiry is the only hope for justice in the case of his son Nido Taniam’s death, who was allegedly beaten at South Delhi’s Lajpat Nagar area last month.

He further said that UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi has assured her full support and cooperation in not only Taniam’s case but for the entire North East region

“A CBI enquiry is the only hope, because CBI will give free and fair investigation.

Sonia Gandhi has fully assured and she was very cooperative and supportive, and she will not only help in Taniam’s case but for the entire North East region,” Nido Pavitra told media after the meeting with Sonia Gandhi here today.

“She has suggested us to meet Union Minister again for the formation of the committee and for time bound enquiry. Most probably this evening we will be meeting the Prime Minister,” he added.

Nido Taniam’s mother said that Sonia Gandhi has assured that this matter would be taken up soon.

Meanwhile, Congress MP Takam Sanjoy, said that he has made a specific appeal to Sonia Gandhi to ensure safety and security of the North East people in the national capital.

He also said that there is a complete breakdown of cooperation between the Delhi police and the NCT administration.

“There have been series of incidents in three to four weeks is one of the blackest periods for the north-east community. I have very clearly told Sonia Gandhi that the coordination between these two agencies of the government has failed. And therefore, something has to be done to ensure that the safety and security of people of North-East is felt at ease, particularly in this capital city,” he added.

Earlier on Tuesday, Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde had ordered a CBI enquiry in the death case of Arunachal student Nido Taniam.

Meanwhile, the postmortem report of the victim was released on Monday, which stated that Taniam died of injuries inflicted upon the head and face by a blunt object.

Taniam was allegedly beaten at Lajpat Nagar in South Delhi on January 29 as he got into a brawl with local shopkeepers while reacting to a verbal racial slur and taunts on his hair style. The next day, when he didn’t wake up, his friends rushed him to AIIMS, where he was declared dead.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal