Photo: ANI
Photo: ANI

In a rather horrifying turn of events, a fire broke out in the ICU ward of a government hospital on Tuesday evening. The incident took place in the ICU ward on the first floor of six- storey SSG Hospital in Vadodara in Gujarat where critical coronavirus patients were being treated.

Thirty-five patients were shifted from two affected wards, but nobody was injured in the incident and the fire was brought under control soon, said Gujarat Health Minister Nitin Patel. He had said at the time that the fire had been caused by a short circuit in ventilator inside the ICU ward.

Now, CCTV footage accessed by the Ahmedabad Mirror has shed more light on the situation. The publication noted that the fire seemed to have begun with a ventilator, adding that the machine in question seemed to be a Dhaman 1 ventilator.

The Dhaman 1 ventilators have already become a controversial topic, with many earlier reports nothing that questions had been raised about the efficiency of these ventilators. And needless to say, many on social media platforms were not happy about the situation.

Take a look:

While no one was injured, for a brief period on Tuesday the fire had caused panic and confusion, with COVID-19 patients being evacuated from the two wards by the staff wearing PPE suits. Critical patients were rushed down to the ground floor and were provided with oxygen cylinders. A four-member panel has now been set up to investigate the incident.

(With inputs from agencies)

(To download our E-paper please click here. The publishers permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in