New Delhi : Cornered over the CSAT row, government on Wednesday said that the exam this year should be allowed to be held in its current format, while promising an all-party meet to discuss the issue.  Sources said no change in the exam pattern is possible this year. However, the government might consider changes for next year’s exam.

In an attempt to put an end to the row around the Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT), the government had announced on Monday that the marks for English comprehension, which was being protested against, will not count in the final merit list.  However, opposition members in Rajya Sabha have been questioning the decision, calling it hasty.

In a brief discussion on the issue in the upper house on Wednesday, opposition members questioned the status of other languages, while some of them demanded scrapping of the CSAT alltogether.  Participating in the discussion, D. Raja of the Communist Party of India said, “UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) should make available question papers in all Indian languages”.

Derek O’Brien of the Trinamool Congress called the government’s announcment Monday a “knee-jerk reaction”.  Pramod Tiwari of the Congress meanwhile alleged the government had fuelled the debate “deliberately” to divert the attention from other issues faced by the nation.  Bahujan Samaj Party leader Satish Chandra Mishra slammed the manner of taking the decision.  BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, however, said the step had been taken after much consideration, and was not a knee-jerk reaction.

“The government took a step after a lot of consideration and thought. This problem was started by the Congress and the UPA. Now the NDA and the BJP have come up with a proper solution for that,” Naqvi said.

 Responding to the debate, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Prakash Javadekar said the government would convene an all-party meeting on the issue, adding that the government was considering the issues raised by the opposition.

“We will convene an all-party meeting to seek the views of the leaders on bringing reforms in the pattern of civil services examinations conducted by the UPSC,” he said.

He said that the preliminary examination scheduled for Aug 24 should be allowed to be held.

(To view our epaper please click here. For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in