New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen co- founder Yasin Bhatkal and close aide Asadullah Akhtar were today remanded in police custody till December 10 by a Delhi court in connection with the September 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case days before the Commonwealth Games held here.

Yasin and Akhtar were produced before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash after expiry of their police custody in connection with a separate case and the Special Cell of Delhi Police sought their custodial interrogation for 15 days for unearthing the entire conspiracy leading to the September 19, 2010 Jama Masjid attack.

The police told the court that on September 19, 2010, two bikers had fired upon tourists descending from at the gate of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi and two Taiwanis, Ku-Ze-Wei and Ko-chiange, had sustained bullet injuries.

The special cell told the court that during interrogation, Yasin had disclosed that he had arranged the logistics for Akhtar, Waqas, who is still absconding, and other IM members who carried out the attack near the prominent mosque here.

“During interrogation, accused Asadullah Akhtar disclosed that he along with Yasin Bhatkal and other associates, in September 2010, on the direction of Pakistan-based IM commanders Riyaz Bhatkal and Iqbal Bhatkal, planned and carried out a terror strike at Jama Masjid on September 19, 2010.

“For this, he (Akhtar) along with Waqas came from Pakistan and stayed in rented room at Shastri Park arranged by Yasin Bhatkal where they planned the terrorist attack on foreigners,” the police said in its remand application.

Seeking their custody, the special cell also said that they have to unearth the entire conspiracy and have to ascertain the source of arms and ammunitions procured by IM members for carrying out the terror strike.

Earlier, the police had taken custody of Yasin and Akhtar in another case lodged in 2011 over allegations involving the setting up of an illegal arms factory here.

The special cell had in November, 2011, busted an illegal arms factory in the Meer Vihar area of Nangloi in Outer Delhi and arrested several alleged IM suspects.

An FIR was lodged against Yasin Bhatkal on November 22, 2011, which was followed by a non-bailable warrant in the case.

According to Delhi Police, the weapons manufacturing unit had elaborate equipment like moulding and cutting machines and assembly drilling and grinding machines besides explosives and rocket launchers.

Earlier, police had told the court during interrogation, Bhatkal had admitted he had set up the arms factory in Meer Vihar and, along with associates, had stayed at different hideouts here.

Bhatkal and Akhtar were earlier taken to Hyderabad after their arrest on September 21 and September 17, respectively, by NIA’s Hyderabad unit in connection with the Dilsukhnagar blasts that claimed 16 lives.

The blasts were caused by IEDs planted near Konark and Venkatadiri theatres on February 21 of this year.

Bhatkal and Akhtar were prior to that arrested by NIA for allegedly carrying out various terror strikes in the country. NIA had said that Bhatkal was involved in bomb blasts in different parts of India since 2003.

According to NIA, Bhatkal, wanted in around 40 terror cases and carrying a reward of Rs 35 lakh, and Akhtar were arrested from the Indo-Nepal border on the night of August 28.

Bhatkal, who hails from Bhatkal village in Udupi district of north Karnataka, was allegedly involved in a string of terror attacks in Ahmedabad, Surat, Bangalore, Pune, Delhi and Hyderabad, NIA had said.

30-year-old Bhatkal, who was earlier associated with banned outfit Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), is suspected to have hatched a conspiracy with others to wage war against India.

18 cases of paid news detected by EC in Chhattisgarh

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal