Bhopal: Five decades since he crossed over to India post the 1962 war and raised a family in Madhya Pradesh’s Balaghat district, a Chinese soldier is all set to fly back to his native country.
Wang Qi, now 77, was caught when he entered the Indian territory shortly after the Sino-India War of 1962. He was later released from jail.
“Wang with his wife Sushila, and their son Vishnu and two other family members will be flying to China,” Balaghat Collector Bharat Yadav told PTI.
He said Wang and his four family members got visa on Friday and they might fly to China today, adding this became possible due to the help they received from the Ministry of Home and External Affairs.
Official sources in Beijing said Wang and his family members are expected to arrive there on Saturday.
After their arrival, they would travel to his native place in Shaanxi Province to meet Wang’s relatives, they said.
On Thursday, the Ministry of External Affairs had said that it was following up the case and helping Wang and his family members to visit China to meet his extended family.
The development has come within a week after a delegation from the Chinese Embassy met Wang who had been wanting to visit his country. “Three officials from Chinese Embassy in India met my father and talked to him for more than an hour. They assured him all possible help to visit China,” according to his son Vishnu (35).
Wang, who lives with his wife and three children in Tirodi area of Balaghat district, has not been able to visit China for the last five decades for want to permission from Indian government, according to the family.
“My father joined the Chinese Army in 1960 and he entered India through the eastern frontier after losing his way in the darkness one night,” son Vishnu said.–PTI
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)