New Delh: One of the absconding accused in a corruption case relating to construction of an unauthorised building here today surrendered before a Delhi court which remanded him in seven days CBI custody after the agency said he was required for custodial interrogation.
Accused Kapil Deo, who was named in the charge sheet along with nine others, including engineers of the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and the North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC), surrendered before special CBI judge Poonam Bamba.
The court allowed the agency’s plea for interrogation and remanded Deo in CBI custody till October 22.
The CBI, on October 4, had filed a charge sheet against 10 accused for offences under the provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act and section 120 B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC.
In its charge sheet, CBI named private firm executive Rajesh Agarwal as accused, along with his alleged associate Manish Tuli, NDMC engineers Mahender Kumar Gupta, Rajesh Wadhwa, Satish Kumar, Naresh Kumar, Sanjay Kumar, R K Sethi, DDA engineer Rajesh Gupta and Kapil Deo.
The CBI, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Agarwal, who was the then director of M/s Micromax Informatics, and Tuli were carrying out “unauthorised construction of a banquet hall” in Wazirpur industrial area here and the other accused had demanded Rs 1 crore as illegal gratification for allowing them to carry out the construction.
It had said that the bribe amount was finally settled at Rs 50 lakh.
The CBI had earlier said an FIR was lodged on a source information that Agarwal and Tuli had entered into a deal with engineers of the civic body to get clearance for construction of the banquet hall in Wazirpur area in exchange of bribe of Rs 50 lakh.
It had told the court that during the probe, Rs 1.1 crore had been recovered from the accused.
Agarwal, Tuli and some other accused were arrested on August 7 when they were allegedly giving a bribe of Rs 30 lakh to North Delhi Municipal Corporation officials to regularise the unauthorised property.