The work break is taking on a new meaning with workers forgoing just a few minutes away from their desks, in favor of, whole days away from the office to recharge their batteries. CareerBuilder’s annual survey on absenteeism shows 29 percent of workers have played hooky from the office at least once this year, calling in sick when they were well. 27 percent of employers think they are seeing an increase in bogus sick excuses from employees due to continued stress and burnout caused by the weak economy. The survey was conducted between August 17 and September 2, 2010 and included more than 3,100 workers and more than 2,400 employers.
While the majority of employers said they believe their workers when they say they’re feeling under the weather, 29 percent reported they have checked up on an employee who called in sick and 16 percent said they have fired a worker for missing work without a proven excuse. While half called the employee at home, 18 percent had another worker call the employee and 15percent drove by the employee’s house or apartment.
“Six-in-ten employers we surveyed said they let their team members use sick days for mental health days,” said Rosemary Haefner, vice president of human resources at CareerBuilder. “If you need to take some time away from the office, the best way not to cause yourself more stress is to be open and honest with your manager.”
“Just not feeling like going to work” is the number one reason why workers said they call off sick with made-up excuses followed by “just needing to relax” and “catching up on sleep.” Other reasons included doctor’s appointments, needing to run personal errands, and plans with family and friends. One of the excuses being an employee calling in sick because his false teeth flew out of the window while he was driving down the highway, another classic was that an employee’s favourite football team lost on Sunday so he/she needed a day to recover, the Mirror reported.
Here are some of the funniest reasons for not clocking on:
1. My false teeth flew out the window while driving down the highway
2. My favourite football team lost on Sunday so I needed Monday to recover
3. I was quitting smoking and was grouchy
4. Someone glued my doors and windows shut so I couldn’t leave the house
5. A swarm of bees surrounded my vehicle and I couldn’t make it in
6. I felt like I was so angry I was going to hurt someone if I came in
7. I received a threatening phone call from the electric company and needed to report it to the FBI
8. I needed to finish Christmas shopping
9. My fake eye was falling out of its socket
10. I couldn’t decide what to wear
11. Employee said a chicken attacked his mom.
12. Employee’s finger was stuck in a bowling ball.
13. Employee had a hair transplant gone bad.
14. Employee fell asleep as his desk while working and hit his head, causing a neck injury.
15. Employee said a cow broke into her house and she had to wait for the insurance man.