Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today approved a sum of Rs two crore as the state government’s contribution for conducting the popular tennis tournament, Chennai Open, which starts here on December 30.
The government, being the Lead Platinum Sponsor for the event, has approved the amount not only for this year’s sporting tourney but also for 2014, 2015 and 2016, a state government release said.
It said that Jayalalithaa had hiked the assistance from Rs one crore to Rs two crore last year following representation from Tamil Nadu Tennis Association, besides allocating Rs 4.5 crore towards upgrading facilities to international standards at the stadium where the annual sporting event is held.
India’s only ATP Tour event, Chennai Open will be held from December 30 to January 5, 2014.
In the past, the tournament has witnessed participation of stars like the Leander Paes-Mahesh Bhupathi duo and Carlos Moya, among others.