Lucknow : The report of the post-mortem examination on slain deputy superintendent of police Zia ul Haq’s body has reportedly revealed only one bullet injury and the bullet is untraceable.
Additional Director General (ADG) Law and Order Arun Kumar said that the murder weapon too was yet to be recovered. “The bullet had pierced Haq’s body from the back, punctured his rib cage and exited through his chest on the right side. Other than this, the autopsy conducted by three local doctors, which has been video graphed, revealed several injuries on Haq’s body, suggesting that he had been beaten up by the mob and hit by an iron rod on his head,” he said.
However, it has been four days since the violent incident took place, but the police have not yet recorded the statement of key eyewitnesses, including the constable, who accompanied the slain officer.
The officer’s widow has urged a second post-mortem examination by the CBI, alleging that there were three bullet wounds on her late husband’s body.
Haq was killed on Saturday night when he arrived in a village in Kunda to investigate the murder of the village headman or pradhan and his brother, who had been killed over a land dispute. When the officer reached the site of the clash between two warring groups in Kunda, he was caught and thrashed by the mob and the policemen who accompanied him fled from the scene. The officer was then shot dead. His widow has alleged the involvement of Raja Bhaiya in the incident. Following the controversy, Raja Bhaiya stepped down as a cabinet minister on Monday. The police have still not questioned Raja Bhaiya, who has been booked under Section 120-B of the IPC (criminal conspiracy).
Earlier on Tuesday, Raja Bhaiya had claimed he had no involvement in the DSP’s murder and said that he was a victim of political conspiracy. He told a news channel that he was sure the CBI probe would bring out the truth. He also claimed that one Ajay Pal, from the rival group that had clashed with the Yadav group in Kunda, was the main accused.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Wednesday visited Kunda in Pratapgarh district to console the family members of the Yadav family, two members of which were among the victims of last Saturday’s violence.
Yadav met the family members of Nanhe Yadav, the village pradhan, and his brother Suresh, and he described their killings as “very tragic” and said he hoped the CBI investigation would clear the mystery behind them.
Yadav said his government had given Rs 20 lakh to the widows of the slain gram pradhan and his brother, and added that the government will fully cooperate with the investigation. He said appropriate action would also be taken against those policemen who escaped from the spot where the slain deputy superintendent of police was lynched by a mob.
He told reporters that all demands made by Parveen, wife of the DSP, with regard to the investigation had been accepted.
Yadav was accompanied by another senior minister Mohd Azam Khan. In reply to a question, whether the former minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh, alias Raja Bhaiya, would be arrested in the case, Azam Khan said it was for the court of law to decide who is guilty.
On Monday (March 4), the Chief Minister had visited the village of the policeman’s widow and agreed to her demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation into her husband’s killing. The murdered pradhan’s wife had threatened to commit suicide unless Yadav visited her family to hear their complaints. Incidentally, the family members of the slain Yadav brothers had also demanded that the Chief Minister visit their village as well.