Advertisement

Iran nearly doubles its hajj stampede death toll to 464

PTI | Updated on: Friday, May 31, 2019, 10:07 PM IST

Advertisement

Tehran: Iran today nearly doubled its death toll from last week’s hajj stampede to 464, saying there was no hope of finding pilgrims missing after the tragedy.

“Seven days after this tragic accident… the status of all (pilgrims) injured has been completely cleared and reported,” Iran’s hajj organisation said in a statement carried by state television. Around 240 Iranians were previously declared dead after last Thursday’s crush near Mecca, with more than 200 classified as missing. An Iranian red crescent official said that those missing were all likely to have died. “We are completely disappointed from finding unknown and missing Iranians,” said Ali Marashi, the head of hajj red crescent medical centre, state media reported.

Saudi and Iranian health ministers agreed after days of fierce debate to repatriate Iranian pilgrims killed in the stampede. Iran’s IRNA news agency quoted Iranian Health Minister Hassan Hashemi as saying that he and his Saudi counterpart Khaled al-Falih had struck a deal aimed at “speeding up the process, as the victims’ families are waiting” back at home. Iran would be the first country to receive bodies and repatriate them,” Hashemi said. Those unidentified bodies who are clearly Iranian would be repatriated first and identified at home, he added.

Advertisement

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Published on: Thursday, October 01, 2015, 03:48 PM IST