Evasive action by Sahara boss as cops arrive

Lucknow/New Delhi :  Armed with a non-bailable warrant (NBW), the UP police on Thursday came knocking at the residence of Sahara boss Subrata Roy. The apex court had issued the NBW on Wednesday after Roy refused to answer summons in a contempt case wherein he is accused of failing to refund over Rs 20,000 crore to Sahara investors.

Evasive action by Sahara boss as cops arrive

The police team, however, drew a blank: they were told that Roy was not at home. The team spent some time loitering on his property, which is spread over several acres, but returned empty-handed. “Subrata Roy is not in Sahara City. So we could not arrest him,” a police officer told a TV channel. He declined to say whether Roy was absconding. “We only met his ailing mother and doctors attending to her,” he added.

Roy had pleaded in the court the previous day that he had failed to respond to the summons as he was constantly at his ailing mother’s bedside.

Cornered, Roy on Thursday tendered an “unconditional apology” to the Supreme Court for his non-appearance in the contempt case and sought recall of the NBW issued against him.

Moving the court a day after it issued the NBW to be executed by March 4, Roy admitted that he had “erred” by his non-appearance in the bonafide belief that the court will give him personal exemption from appearance for a day.

He appealed to the “humane side” of the court to consider sympathetically the wishes of his mother and permit him to be with her in her last moments.

Roy also said that he believed that the court will in all its magnanimity pardon the “error of judgment” on his part and overlook his non-appearance since it was “neither intentional nor deliberate”.

He further submitted that the non-recall of the NBW order shall cause “grave prejudice” to him and he shall suffer “irreparable loss and injury because without your lordships’ merciful favour, the applicant cannot be with his mother in peace”.

On Wednesday, Roy had pleaded that his mother is ill and he was at her bedside. Responding to his plea, the Supreme Court had said, “The arms of this court are very long. Yesterday you made a similar request. We declined. Today you are making the same request. When other directors have appeared, why can’t you?”

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal