Mumbai : In a sensational drug chase, that might just be a sequence straight out of a movie, the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence seized over 500 kg of contraband, suspected to be Mephedrone, popularly known as Meow-Meow, from a truck that made them chase it from Maharashtra all the way to Delhi. The drug is estimated to be worth US $ 5 million (Rs 31 crore).
The seizure – being the biggest one of Mephedrone – took place at around midnight on February 20 in Delhi. Based on specific inputs, officers of the DRI had started trailing the truck in Kurutuwadi, Sholapur.
The truck was finally intercepted at Delhi and what looked like only a consignment of papayas on the outside turned out to be a horde of contraband of the amphetamine class on the inside.
A detailed search revealed 13 sacks of Mephedrone that were concealed under the papayas. The whole consignment was concealed under a tarpaulin sheet that is used to cover goods on a truck.
The 500-kg Mephedrone is believed to have been on its way to a western country. The DRI suspects that the loading happened at Kurutuwadi itself.
This seizure of Mephedrone is the first case in the country after it was included in the schedule of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act recently. The commercial quantity of Mepherdone, also known as Meow-Meow, M-CAT and MD in street language, has been fixed at 50-gram.
In the past one year, it had become extremely popular in Mumbai as it was not included in the schedule of NDPS Act. In addition, it is extremely cheap, readily available and is produced within the country itself.
Two persons, the driver of the truck and another who joined him in Delhi, have been arrested and remanded to judicial custody. The factory which was manufacturing the drug in Sholapur has also been located. The case is being further investigated by the DRI, Delhi.
- Mephedrone is a synthetic stimulant drug.
- It is called Meow Meow, M-CAT and MD in street language.
- The name Meow Meow was given to it as it causes slight dilation of the consumer’s eyes.
- In rural areas, it is called ‘chawal’, as it resembles grains of rice.
- Mephedrone was previously a component of fertilizers and was reinvented a few years ago in China as a drug.
- It has been banned in many countries, Israel being the first to do it.
- There are over one lakh Mephedrone addicts in Mumbai, and its consumption is around 8200 kilogams a day.
- It gives an immediate cocaine-like high at a very low cost. Besides the dilation of eyes, the other side effects or results of consuming this drug are excessive grinding of teeth, and random fits. However, it does not emanate any kind of odour.
- There have been several deaths in Mumbai in the past year due to excessive consumption of this drug.