Chaitra Navratri is an auspicious Hindu festival which is solely dedicated to the worship of Goddess Durga. The festival holds a lot of importance for the entire Gujarati, Bengali and Maharashtrian communities. Navratri itself symbolizes victory over evil. The occasion begins with Ghatasthapana whihch is traditional ritual and is celebrated with great enthusiasm and faith. Some people fast during the nine days of the festival.
Navratri word is derived from ‘Nav’ means nine and ‘Ratri’ means night in Sanskrit, hence ‘Navratri’ means nine nights of celebration during nine forms of Goddess Durga is worshipped. Chaitra Navratri falls in the month of Chaitra and so it is termed as ‘Chaitra Navratri’. Chaitra Navratri marks the first day of Luni-Solar calendar of the Hindus, which generally falls in March or April. This year, Chaitra Navratri begins from April 28 to May 5.
According to some legends, devotees believe that Lord Shiva granted permission to his wife Goddess Durga for seeing her mother for just nine days. During those nine days she demolished demon Mahishasura. It is said that Maa Durga has eternal divine power which can never be created nor destroyed.
According to Hindu calendar, Navratri is celebrated four times in a year, but the most significant in terms of public celebration are Chaitra and Sharad Navratri. The first three days of Chaitra Navratri devotees worship Goddess Durga and her various forms, including Sailaputri, Brahmacharini, Chandraghanta, Kushmanda, Skanda Mata, Katyayani, Kalaratri, Maha Gowri and Siddhidayini. The entire Navratri is all about praying, fasting as well as savouring delicacies, dancing and enjoying for the nine days.
Must Do’s in days of Chaitra Navratri
- You should have your bath on or before 9AM of each day.
- It is believed that Red colour is Goddess Durga’s favourite color, hence the during Navratri fasteners’ should use the red colour cloth, flower and garments.
- During Chaitra Navratri, many devotees fast for nine days or eat only at one time or live only on Falahar.
- Try to gift 2 small girl child on each day of Navratri.
Don’ts for Chaitra Navratri
- Avoid cutting hair, beard or even nails till Ekadashi.
- Don’t leave the jyot of diya burn it out, and after pooja of each day, with some flowers put to rest the Agni which stood as the witness to your puja and offering.
- According to belief, onion, garlic and non-veg are prohibited during this period. Even people who keep fast in these nine days are not allowed to consume food grains and salt.
These are some simple rules you need to follow in these 9 days, and hope MAA will bless all of you with good health and lots of happiness.
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)