2 suspected al Qaeda operatives sent to 12-day police custody

New Delhi: Two suspected al Qaeda operatives, arrested for allegedly radicalising youth for terror activities, were today remanded to 12-day police custody by a Delhi court. Arrested accused Maulana Mohammad Abdul Rahman and Zafar Masood, were produced before Additional Sessions Judge Reetesh Singh and the Special Cell of Delhi Police moved an application seeking 12-day police remand.

The police told the court that both the accused were required to be interrogated at length to unearth the entire conspiracy and to ascertain the identity of other persons in the module.

“I am satisfied that custodial interrogation of both the accused for a period of 12 days is warranted. Both the accused are remanded to police custody for 12 days,” the judge said. According to the police, Rehman runs a Madrasa in UP where several students were enrolled and he was trying to radicalise them for terror activities.

It said that Masood was also propagating terror agenda of the al Qaeda among the youths and was trying to attract them towards the terror outfit.

Besides these two, accused Mohammed Asif, who was arrested earlier, is already in police custody till December 28. While Asif (41), was held from Seelampur in northeast Delhi, Rahman (37) was arrested from Jagatpur area of Cuttack in Odisha, police had said.

Rahman was arrested after a raid by a joint team of Delhi Police and Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Commissionerate Police at his house in Paschimakachha village in Jagatpur area. They have been booked under provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

According to the special cell, Rahman is suspected to have international links in countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Dubai. Rahman, who is married and has three children, ran a madrasa at Tangi area near Cuttack.

It said that Asif, along with two youths had left Delhi for Tehran in Iran in June 2013, from where they further headed towards the Iran-Pakistan border and crossed it. Police had said that Asif and the youths then reached Sumali in north Waziristan where Asif underwent training.

Asif returned to Delhi in September 2014, allegedly scouting for more recruits, it had said, adding that on his way to Delhi, Asif was detained by Iranian security agency but the contacts of al Qaeda ensured he was transited to Turkey. Later, on expiry of his visa, he approached the embassy there and was sent to Delhi.

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal