Jawaharlal Nehru doesn’t need any introduction. He is well known as an influential leader in the Indian independence movement and was the political heir of Mahatma Gandhi. He became the first prime minister of Independent India in 1947 and held the Prime Ministerial office three times. He is known as a visionary who laid the foundation of free India. He successfully established various economic, social and educational reforms that are even today admired by millions of India. Under his leadership, the Congress dominated national and state-level politics and won consecutive elections in 1951, 1957, and 1962. In India, his birthday is celebrated as Bal Diwas (Children’s Day).
On Jawaharlal Nehru’s 55th death anniversary, here’s a look at 10 pictures of chacha Nehru from FPJ archives.
- Nehru with his mother and father – 1894
- School cadet – 1905
- With Subhash Chandra Bose – 1937
- Nehru with wife Kamala and daughter Indira Gandhi – 1918
- Nehru with Indira and Krishna Menon – 1938
- Nehru with Mahatma Gandhi – 1942
- Nehru voting for Independence – 1947
- Nehru with Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel
- Nehru with colleagues on the first interim government – 1946
- Nehru behind the bars with brother-in-law Ranjit Pandit
(Compiled by Sonali Pimputkar)