The Bengali beauty and Bollywood ‘Kashmir Ki Kali’ actress Sharmila Tagore turns 72 today.
Iconic Sharmila shattered stereotypes in Indian cinema and still continues to make heads turn in her public appearance with her presence and beauty.
She believes in hard working and she describes herself as a ‘working actor’ and says she doesn’t believe in star status. Lastly she was seen with daughter Soha Ali Khan hosting the television show “The Great Indian Home Makeover”. She shot its first episode with her mother and veteran actress Sharmila Tagore at Pataudi Palace near Gurgaon city in Haryana.
On the Sharmila’s birthday, We brings you some unknown facts about the veteran actress
1. Sharmila Tagore is a great granddaughter of Rabindranath Tagore. She is daughter of Gitindranath Tagore, who was a general manager of British India Corporation. Sharmila was very closely related to Rabindranath Tagore through her mother. While Sharmila father belong to Bengali family and her mother from Assamese family and both of them related to the nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
2. Sharmila married former captain of the Indian cricketer Mansoor Ali Khan on 27th December 1969. She converted herself into Islam and took on the name Ayesha Sultana. They had three children Saif Ali Khan, Soha Ali Khan and Saba Ali Khan. Saba is a jewellery designer and Saif and Soha are Bollywood stars.
Sharmila Tagore with son Saif Ali Khan.
3. In ‘An Evening in Paris’, Sharmila became the first actress in Bollywood to have a sported a swim suit. This lead to her became a sex symbol of sorts.
4. Sharmila has appeared in 58 Bollywood movies and 10 Bengali films and one each of English, Marathi and Malyalam. Sharmila began her Bollywood career in ‘Kashmir Ki Kali’ in 1964. After that she give another hit movie ‘An Evening in Paris’ in 1967 opposite to Shammi Kapoor. Sharmila and Rajesh Khanna pair gave six box office hits including the likes – ‘Aradhana’, ‘Safar’, ‘Amar Prem’, ‘Chhoti Bahu’, ‘Daag’ and ‘Avishkaar’.
5. She won a National film award for best actress in ‘Mausam’ in 1975, directed by Gulzar and Filmfare awards for best actress for ‘Aradhana’.
6. Saif Ali Khan and Amrita Singh met and fell in love. But Saif Ali Khan parents were disapproving their relationship, one factor been that Amrita was almost 12 years older than Saif. Even as Sharmila and Mansoor made their feelings quite clear the ‘Chota Nawab’ tied the knot with Amrita Singh in October 1991. However, in 2004, Saif and Amrita decided to part ways amid reports of Saif’s affair with Rosa, an Italian Dancer.
7. In December 2005, she was chosen as an UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador
8. Few years back in 2012, Saif Ali Khan married Kareena Kapoor. The traditional outfit which was first worn by Begum Sajida Sultan (Sharmila’s mother-in-law), followed by Sharmila herself, and then passed on to Kareena as a tradition of the Pataudi household. Sharmila Tagore passed on the traditional wedding outfit and jewelley to her son’s wife Kareena Kapoor.
9. She was also awarded Padma Bhushan by the Government of India in 2013.