Yash Johar was an iconic Bollywood producer and founder of Dharma Productions. He founded Dharma Productions in 1976 and his films were known for their lavish sets and exotic locations but they also upheld Indian traditions and family values.
Yash Johar was married to Hiroo Johar, sister of filmmaker Yash Chopra. Yash and Hiroo are the parents of successful Indian film director, Karan Johar.
Yash Johar passed away on 26 June 2004 at the age of 74 of a chest infection. He had been fighting his battle with cancer too. After his death, his son Karan took over the reins of Dharma Productions.
Let us take a look at some of the great movies he's given us
1. Kal Ho Naa Ho: This is a romantic film packed with laughs as well as drama. This film made people incredibly emotional but even though it broke hearts, everyone has a soft spot for this film. The movie tells the story of Naina Catherine Kapur, a pessimistic and uptight MBA student living in New York City. She falls in love with her neighbour Aman Mathur, a terminally ill patient who tries to set Naina up with her best friend Rohit Patel, since he fears she will grieve for him if he reciprocates her feelings.
2. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham... : This is an iconic Bollywood film that tells the story of an Indian family which faces trouble and misunderstanding over their adopted son's marriage to a girl belonging to a lower socio-economic group than them.
3. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai: Everyone's favourite film. The plot combines two love triangles set years apart. The first takes place on a college campus and the second tells the story of a widower's young daughter who tries to reunite her father with his college friend but has to do so quickly as she is getting married.
4. Dostana: This is a Hindi action drama film starring Amitabh Bachchan, Zeenat Aman, Prem Chopra and Amrish Puri. In this movie, two close friends, Vijay and Revi both decide to enter law enforcement, one as a police officer, the other as a lawyer but their friendship starts to unravel when they fall in love with the same woman.
5. Agneepath: This is a film packed with action and drama which starred Amitabh Bachchan, Mithun Chakraborty and Neelam Kothari. The film was inspired by the life of a Mumbai gangster Manya Surve. The film was remade in 2012 with the same title, by Yash Johar's son, Karan as tribute to his father.