Dara Singh was a legendary actor and a professional wrestler. He was also the first sportsman to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
Throughout his eventful career, Dara Singh has been a part of over 150 films, however, the younger crowd remembers him for his role in Kareena Kapoor Khan and Shahid Kapoor's film 'Jab We Met'. In the blockbuster film, he played the role of Kareena's grandfather.
He passed away on July 12, 2012, in Mumbai.
Here are some interesting facts about the legend:
1. Dara Singh was born in a Jat Sikh family on November 19, 1928.
2. His birth name was Deedar Singh Randhawa.
3. When Dara Singh reached adulthood, he was 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighed 127 kilograms, He had a chest measurement of 53 inches. Dara Singh had a strong and healthy physique and because of this, he was encouraged to take up pehlwani.
4. He switched to professional wrestling later on and competed around the world with opponents such as Bill Verna, John Da Silva and Danny Lynch. One of the most remembered wrestling moments of Dara Singh is his flooring of Emile Czaja (ring name: King Kong).
5. Dara Singh was a stunt film actor for several years and played his first lead role in Babubhai Mistry's film 'King Kong'.
6. He often partnered with Mumtaz, so much so that they acted in 16 films together.
7. 'Jab We Met' was his last Hindi film.
8. Dara Singh became the first sportsperson to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
9. Dara Singh married twice. He had three sons and three daughters including Parduman Randhawa and Vindu Dara Singh.
10. On July 7, 2012, Dara Singh was admitted to Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai following a massive heart attack. Two days later, it was confirmed that he had brain damage due to lack of blood flow. He was discharged from the hospital on July 11, 2012, as nothing could be done to prolong his life. He died the next day.