US not involved in Turkey coup attempt, says US ambassador John Bass

Istanbul: The US’ ambassador to Turkey has again denied allegations his country was involved in last month’s failed coup attempt, Turkish media reported.

“I just want to say again, as I’ve said before and as we’ve said from Washington, the United States government did not plan, direct, support or have any advance knowledge of any of the illegal activities that occurred the night of July 15 and into July 16. Full stop,” US ambassador John Bass said in remarks published in English daily Hurriyet Daily News.

He added that he was “deeply disturbed and offended by the accusations” targeting his country. The July 15 military action blamed by Ankara on US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen has rattled Turkey’s relations with the United States and the European Union.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused the West of supporting the plotters and warned Washington that relations will suffer if it fails to extradite Pennyslvania-based Gulen.

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in