Ujjain: In a bid to oblige Members of Parliament (MPs), the Union government has reconstituted District Road Safety Committees (DRSC) across the country and made them its chairman. After this significant move, the first meeting of Ujjain’s newly-constituted DSRC is scheduled for Saturday at 4 pm at Simhastha Fair Authority.
Through an extraordinary gazette notification, the ministry of road transport and highways reconstituted the DRSCs to promote awareness amongst road users. MPs have been made its chairman. Previously, district collectors used to be the chairman and MPs used to be simple members.
Now, collectors have been made simple members besides officials concerned, prominent peoples’ representatives, experts, etc. Regional transports officers will remain as member secretary of the DRSCs which has been reconstituted first the first time after 1980. In Ujjain, the maiden meeting of the DSRC slated for Saturday will be chaired by MP Chintamani Malviya. Its last meeting was held in November last.
The role of DRSC assumes significance in light of increasing speed of road mishaps. Likewise, hurdles in smooth traffic have also doubled the problems of vehicle drivers and commuters. Highly increasing numbers of two and four-wheelers, narrow roads, lack of awareness towards road safety issues were also the concerning points these days.
To overcome on them and to suggest ways and means, the DRSC has been empowered to make recommendations to national/state road safety committee. The DRSC will meet at least once in a quarter or at such frequency as it may decide.
TERMS OF REFERENCE OF DRSC
* Monitoring of road safety activities
* Monitoring of road accident data
* Identification and study of cases of road accidents
* To provide suggestions to the national/state road safety council
* Reviewing and monitoring of the work relating to identification and rectification of black sports as per protocol and all road engineering measures
* Ensuring implementation of road safety standards
* Create and implement road safety action plan for the district with specific targets for accident/fatality reduction
* To discuss and strengthen the implementation of 4 E’s programme including education, enforcement, emergency care and engineering
* Review of the speed limits and traffic calming measures
* Formation of strategies to motivate Good Samaritans
* Establishment of traffic park-cum-training centre at town/city and gram panchayat
* Promoting road safety campaign
* To discuss any other issue related to road safety