London: Two major railway stations were closed and around 1,450 people were evacuated from a nightclub and hotel after a gas leak in central London on Tuesday.
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) said a gas leak discovered at around 2 a.m. caused the widespread disruption and firefighters were assisting police at the scene in Craven Street off Strand.
Charing Cross and Waterloo stations remained shut into rush hour in the morning amid emergency work to isolate and fix the leak, the Evening Standard reported. “Fire crews using detection equipment have identified high levels of natural gas in the atmosphere. Around 1,450 people have been evacuated from a nearby hotel and a nightclub,” LFB said in a statement.
More than 1,000 people were ordered to leave Heaven nightclub near the Strand along with around 400 people from other buildings in the early hours of Tuesday.
The Strand, a major route through central London, was closed and a cordon was put in place while National Grid engineers tried to isolate the leak.
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)