Three cold storages to be set up for onions

FPJ BureauUpdated: Thursday, May 30, 2019, 02:08 PM IST
article-image

Cold chains and storages policy likely to be announced

Indore : Onion, a farm produce which usually reduces farmers and consumers to tears, will now bring joy as the state government has decided to set-up three dedicated cold storages for this popular commodity item only. Incentives would also be given to probables.

Talking to Free Press during the one-day seminar held on cold chains and save perishables here on Friday, MS Dhakad, director and commissioner horticulture department government of Madhya Pradesh, said that the state government’s full focus is on saving perishable goods and giving better prices to its producers. Thus, we have drafted a policy for setting up of cold chain and cold storages across the state. Policy draft is being forwarded to state cabinet for its approval.

Sharing highlights of the policy he said that the state government would offer 15% additional subsidy beside 35% subsidy to be given by central government for setting up of cold chains and storages by any individual, group or cooperative society. In this way, one would get a total of 50% subsidy on their input cost.

Dhakad said that taking serious note on the condition of onions; the government has decided to set up three dedicated cold storages for onions only, locations of which are to be decided. Earlier, addressing the seminar principal secretary horticulture and food processing department government of MP said that our focus is on making horticulture farming price-based, and not subsidy-based.

Farmers should not consider horticulture farming as side farming but as an industry. First, they should focus on cold chain then cold storages. Touching crucial issue of pulses production, PS Varnawal said that earlier farmers did not care about it and turned their focus on paddy farming.

Now, as pulses prices are shooting up again they are moving towards pulses cultivation. Hasmukh Gandhi, president MP cold storages association urged top officials of the state government sitting on the dais that there should be branding of potatoes produced in Malwa region. Because of its quality they are unique. Potatoes grown in the region are always favoured by processing industry, particularly by wafer manufacturing units.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

RECENT STORIES

Mumbai monsoon: BMC keeps cold mix ready for potholes, 1,415 metric tonnes cold distributed in 24...

Mumbai monsoon: BMC keeps cold mix ready for potholes, 1,415 metric tonnes cold distributed in 24...

With Aryan Khan getting clean chit from NCB, FPJ presents his friend Arbaaz Merchant’s statements...

With Aryan Khan getting clean chit from NCB, FPJ presents his friend Arbaaz Merchant’s statements...

WT20 Challenge final: Supernovas beat Velocity in thriller to clinch title despite Laura Wolvaardt's...

WT20 Challenge final: Supernovas beat Velocity in thriller to clinch title despite Laura Wolvaardt's...

Mumbai: No water supply in western suburbs on THIS date

Mumbai: No water supply in western suburbs on THIS date

Cordelia Cruise drug bust case: Aryan Khan's older ‘weed’ chats ignored by SIT

Cordelia Cruise drug bust case: Aryan Khan's older ‘weed’ chats ignored by SIT