Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh was convicted for raping two of his women followers, after which Punjab and Haryana High Court had ordered a search operation in the Dera headquarters. The search which went on for four days, unearthed shocking secrets of the Dera headquarters.
Ram Rahim’s Dera is spread over two campuses, 600 acres and over 100 acres, about 8 km from Sirsa town and 260 km from Chandigarh. Some people who were earlier associated with the Dera sect and left later have alleged that the Dera chief got killed any of those who opposed his activities and buried them across a 70-acre campus.
The sanitisation exercise, ended on Sunday and will bring some comfort to the locals as the mobile internet as well as train services, which had been suspended, will resume. Haryana’s Public Relations Department Deputy Director, Satish Mehra told reporters, secret tunnels, including one which linked jailed sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh’s plush residence with female disciples’ hostel, an empty box of AK-47 cartridges, an illegal firecracker factory were among other shocking detections made. The entire sanitisation process was videographed.
“The search operation process in the Dera was launched on September 8 and was overseen by Court Commissioner AKS Pawar. The search operation continued till Sunday and the process is complete now,” Mehra told reporters.
What was found in Dera during the mammoth “sanitisation” exercise:
- An empty box of AK 47 cartridges,
- 84 cartons of fire crackers and chemicals from the illegal factory,
- Hundreds of pairs of shoes, designer clothing and caps,
- Computer hard disk drives,
- An unregistered Lexus car,
- An OB van,
- Rs. 7,000 of demonetised currency, Rs. 12,000 cash,
- Some pharma medicines without labels or a brand name,
- A walkie-talkie set were also seized,
- The property is also home to an ostentatious ‘7-star MSG resort’ with replicas of Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, Kremlin and Disney World inside,
- An illegal firecracker factory,
- Two secret tunnels, including one that connected the Dera Sacha Sauda chief’s residence with the hostel for female disciples,
- Irregularities in the implementation of the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act by the Dera were also detected,
- Health department team searched a hospital running inside the Dera and sealed a skin bank which was allegedly “running without licence”,
- The Dera chief, who featured in a few films directed and co-produced by himself, also has some shops in the complex, where consumer products launched two years ago under “MSG” brand were sold,
- The Dera’s sprawling headquarters include a township of its own, with schools, a sports village, a hospital, a shopping mall and a cinema hall,
- During the search the authorities also found, plastic currency, which had Dera Sacha Sauda stamp embedded on them, the two coins which have been found are of denominations, Rs 10 and Rs 1.
(With inputs from PTI)