Oxfam says ex-Haiti director admitted to hiring sex workers 

FPJ BureauUpdated: Thursday, May 30, 2019, 12:04 AM IST
article-image

 London : The former Oxfam country director at the centre of a prostitution scandal admitted to paying for sex at his charity-funded residence during an internal inquiry into the allegations, a report released by the British organisation said on Monday.

 Roland van Hauwermeiren, who led Oxfam’s team in Haiti, was one of three staff members who resigned over allegations they hired young sex workers following the devastating 2010 earthquake there. The 68-year-old Belgian has denied organising orgies or visiting brothels in Haiti, saying he told Oxfam he had engaged in “intimate relations some three times” at his home but did not pay for these liaisons. A redacted copy of a 2011 report from its inquiry made public by the charity said Van Hauwermeiren offered to resign after admitting to investigators that he had hired sex workers at Oxfam-funded accommodation. “During the interview the CD admitted to using prostitutes in his OGB (Oxfam Great Britain) residence,” the report said, referring to the country director, reports AFP. The charity has faced accusations it was not transparent about the scandal, which has led to the resignation of its deputy head.

Oxfam suspects ‘physically threatened’ witnesses during  2011 probe: Report

London : Oxfam, the British charity rocked by corruption and sex abuse allegations, has revealed that three men at the centre of the claims physically threatened witnesses during a 2011 investigation. The charity on Sunday night released a redacted version of the 2011 probe and said it wants to be “as transparent as possible”, the BBC reported. Oxfam has faced increasing international pressure after media reports revealed earlier this month that during a humanitarian mission in Haiti in 2011, the charity’s country director Roland van Hauwermeiren hired prostitutes at a villa paid for by the organisation.

Oxfam had staff working in Haiti following the earthquake in the country which killed about 200,000 people in 2010. Seven Oxfam employees left the organisation as a result of their behaviour in Haiti in 2011, the report showed, reports IANS.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. To receive it on Telegram, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

RECENT STORIES

Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair remanded to one-day police custody

Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair remanded to one-day police custody

Mumbai: Kids at civic schools to finally get essential items from BMC

Mumbai: Kids at civic schools to finally get essential items from BMC

Mumbai: Arrest Me, I won't kneel down, says Sanjay Raut after ED summons

Mumbai: Arrest Me, I won't kneel down, says Sanjay Raut after ED summons

Mumbai: CR commuters will be able to track the live location of local trains through Yatri App now

Mumbai: CR commuters will be able to track the live location of local trains through Yatri App now

Ketaki Chitale-Sharad Pawar row: Won't arrest actor in 21 FIRs registered against her, Maharashtra...

Ketaki Chitale-Sharad Pawar row: Won't arrest actor in 21 FIRs registered against her, Maharashtra...