Nirbhaya Case: Chronology of events and how the case unfolded

The Supreme Court today pronounced the verdict on the appeals filed by four death row convicts in the brutal December 16, 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case. The court rejected the plea by four convicts challenging their death plea. A bench comprising Justices Dipak Mishra, Ashok Bhushan and R Banumathi will deliver the judgement. It has almost been five years to the brutal incident when the 23-year-old medical student was assaulted and raped by six persons in a moving bus in South Delhi and was later thrown out with her male friend on the streets. 13 days later, on December 29, she died in a Singapore hospital. In 2013, a trial court had ruled and the High Court had confirmed that the four accused – Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta, Mukesh and Vinay Sharma – should be hanged. But the four challenged the verdict in the Supreme Court.

Here is the complete timeline of the case:

December 16, 2012: Six men, including a juvenile, gang-raped the medical student in the moving bus when she was returning home after watching a movie. The accused beat up her friend and later throw out both of them from a moving bus.

December 29, 2012: The girl succumbs to her injuries in a Singapore hospital.

March 11, 2013: Main accused Ram Singh commits suicide in Tihar jail.

August 31, 2013: Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) presided by Principal District Magistrate Geetanjali Goel finds the juvenile accused guilty of rape and murder of the medical student, sentences him to three years in Special Home.

January 29, 2013: The Supreme Court dismisses transfer petition.

September 13, 2013: Four remaining accused sentenced to death by Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna.

March 13, 2014: Delhi High Court Bench of Justices Reva Khetrapal and Pratibha Rani upholds the trial Court verdict.

March 15, 2014: The Supreme Court stays execution of the accused after allegations of a denial of fair trial.

December 18, 2015: Delhi High Court refuses to stay release of the minor-accused, who walks free after three years in a juvenile home.

April 3, 2016: Hearings begin in the Supreme Court, after 19 months of being in cold storage. Justices Dipak Misra, V. Gopala Gowda and Kurian Joseph to hear the case.

April 8, 2016: Senior Advocates Raju Ramachandran and Sanjay Hegde appointed Amicus Curiae.

August 29, 2016: High drama in the courtroom as allegation of the police tampering with evidence is made.

September 2, 2016: Advocate M. L. Sharma concludes his submissions.

September 16, 2016: Former Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) (Delhi) Chaya Sharma, who was transferred to Mizoram post the Delhi gang rape case, attends the hearing.

November 7, 2016: Senior Advocate and Amicus Curiae Raju Ramachandran makes his submissions, argues for the sentencing order to be set aside.

November 28, 2016: Senior Advocate and Amicus Curiae Sanjay Hegde argues against reliability of evidence in the case.

January 6, 2017: The Supreme Court seeks mitigating circumstances from the accused.

February 3, 3017: The Supreme Court decides to re-hear the case on the sentencing aspect, after the petitioners contend that there have been violations in procedure.

March 6, 2017: All the accused submit additional affidavits in the Court.

March 27, 2017: The Supreme Court reserves verdict after nearly a year of hearing the case.

May 5, 2017: The Supreme Court rejected the plea by four convicts, challenging their death penalty, in the December 2012 Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case. The apex court has decided that the convicts will be hanged till death.

(Inputs from ANI)

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal