Dhaka : Bangladesh Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali on Tuesday said a total of 3,000 Rohingya Muslims were killed since August 25, following the army operation in the Rakhine State of Myanmar, reports ANI.

Tension had been escalating in the Rakhine state a month before the operation, when the Myanmar government started increasing army deployment at many points of the state, the Daily Star quoted Mahmood Ali as saying in a programme.

Nearly half a million Rohingyas have fled to Bangladesh due to violence in the Rakhine state that has claimed lives of at least more than 100 people and displaced several others. Bangladesh is currently sheltering 507,000 Rohingya refugees in the country.

The Myanmar troops launched a crackdown in the Rakhine state, in response to attacks on three border posts last year that killed nine police officers; since then many Rohingya Muslims have tried to move into Bangladesh illegally.

11,000 crossed over in one day

Geneva: Around 11,000 Rohingyas crossed over into neighbouring Bangladesh in a single day in a fresh surge of refugees fleeing an ongoing military offensive in Myanmar’s Rakhine state, the United Nations refugee agency said on Tuesday.

“We’re back in a situation of full alert as far as influxes are concerned. It is a big increase to see 11,000,” UN High Commissioner for Refugees spokesperson Adrian Edwards said. “UNHCR is working with the Bangladesh authorities on a transit centre to prepare for a potential refugee influx in the coming days,” Edwards said.

Over half a million refugees have arrived in Bangladesh since August 25, fleeing a military crackdown that followed attacks by Rohingya militants on police posts.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in