Mumbai: SRA conducts biometric survey for the first time in Aarey Colony

Mumbai: The Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) has for the first time conducted door to door biometric survey at Aarey Colony. This comes after the state government instructed the SRA authorities to conduct the survey to find out the tribal and non-tribal population residing in the area. There was no data with the government on the population of tribal and non-tribal in the area till date.

The biometric survey would help the authorities to find out the eligible hutment dwellers and provide them with rehabilitation. There are at least 90 percent non-tribal population residing in the Aarey Colony and the remaining 10 percent comprises of tribal population.

“The government is intending to find out the basic parameters which includes area of Aarey Colony and wants to make the area free of encroachment. The survey will also help us know the number of hutments in the area,” said an official who is a part of the survey. There are at least 10,000 hutments in the area. “Till now, we have completed the numbering of 9580 hutments and completed the biometric survey of 8870 hutment dwellers,” said an SRA official.

Both the tribal and non-tribal population have submitted the required documents to the surveyor. “The documents will reveal the eligible persons for rehabilitation. The eligible persons are likely to be rehabilitated under the Slum Rehabilitation Scheme DCR 33 (10) of the Development Control Regulations for Greater Mumbai,” added the official.

The eligible non-tribal population would be rehabilitated in the usual vertical buildings and the tribal population will be rehabilitated within the 100 square meters area after considering their source of livelihood. “Tribal population depend on agriculture as their source of livelihood. Government has kept in mind not to affect their livelihood and provide them with suitable rehabilitation,” said the official.

The government is yet to decide on the agency to look after the rehabilitation of both tribal and non-tribal in Aarey Colony. “This survey will help the tribal and non-tribal come under the list of government data. Their list will be prepared by the government and eligible will be given rehabilitation,” added the official.

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in