Representational image
Representational image

Mumbai: Tribals of Aarey Milk Colony on Monday staged protested to condemn the death of a five-year-old boy who was stung allegedly by a scorpion in his school on March 12.

Vaibhav Sathe, a student of Marol Police Camp Municipal Marathi School, was stung by an insect, which doctors later identified as a scorpion, on March 12. He died on March 20 at Holy Spirit Hospital in Andheri. His family said the school did not inform them of the incident in time because of which he could not be treated.

“Vaibhav’s classmates informed the teacher that he was stung by something, but the teacher did not pay heed. When his father reached the school to pick him up around 5:30pm, he found that Vaibhav was sleeping on one of the benches in the school. It is negligence on the part of the school authorities,” said Dinesh Habale, Sathe’s uncle.

Sathe lives in Marol but had come to visit his grandfather in Khadakpada in Aarey Colony. The doctors who treated Vaibhav at Holy Spirit Hospital said they tried their best to save Sathe, but failed, and called it a ‘rarest of the rare case’. Sathe was in the state of coma for eight days before he succumbed to the sting.

“In Mumbai, one does not really come across scorpion sting cases, unless in remote areas. The patient was brought to the hospital late in the evening in an almost dead condition on March 12,” said the doctor in-charge of the paediatric ward.

“When the kid was brought to the hospital, no one was really aware of what stung him. However, we realised it could have been a scorpion. His brain was the most affected. However, had the kid arrived at the hospital earlier, we could have saved him. But, even after operating on him, he succumbed to the scorpion sting,” said the doctor.

Habale said they have approached Powai police station and the ward authorities to look into the matter. “We spent over two lakh rupees for his treatment. His parents had taken loan from various places. We have already lost the child. The government or municipal corporation should compensate for the medical expenses,” Habale added.

The school principal and the assistant officer of schools, BMC, Dipika Patil, refused to speak about the incident. “The incident took place somewhere in school premises, maybe in the playground, but no one really knows the exact location. The kid was taken to a hospital, where his treatment was on, but he later passed away,” said an official of the Powai police station.

(To download our E-paper please click here. The publishers permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in