Mumbai: A major fire broke out in a building inside the industrial estate located in Todi Mills compound, Lower Parel, around 1 am on Friday. According to fire official, one fire officer was injured while dousing the flames and was rushed to BYL Nair hospital for medication.
As per the initial report of the fire department, the fire was sparked from the leftover furniture and machines kept on the rooftop. “The part of the studio, which was shut years ago, was gutted in the blaze,” said official. Around 1 am on Thursday night, the fire department received a call and reached the spot within seventeen minutes but the fire minor of level II. Then again, at 1.27am, they received another call when the fire aggravated to level III when eight fire engines were sent to douse it off.
PS Rahangadale, Chief Fire Officer said the fire was confined to the industrial estate. As the building is old, we fought the fire from the adjacent building. “A small section of the top of the building had collapsed, and it looked risky to enter the building,” said another fire official. “A fireman Dinesh Patil, 26, has been injured during fire-fighting operations and was rushed to Nair Hospital. His condition is stable now,” said officials.
“The studio has been lying abandoned for years. No one works or resides inside. Mostly, the fire was sparked from the discarded materials on the roof. We douse off the fire in few minutes as the roof was easily accessible from the top of surrounding buildings,” said a senior fire officer present at the situation. The electricity of the nearby building was cut off to avoid any case of short circuit or electrocution. However, the fire department is investigating the matter.