Mumbai: Four persons were killed in a fire that broke out in a garment factory in Kandivli (E) early on Sunday. Their bodies were recovered after a 10-hour search operation early on Monday, according to disaster managment officials from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
According to a civic official, two of the persons had perished inside the bathroom, where they had stepped in to get water to douse the fire, after a collapsed roof blocked the door. “The factory structure collapsed in the fire and three people were reported to be missing. Search operations went on till late in the night. Around 5.44 am, fire brigade officials recovered four bodies from the debris and were immediately sent to Shatabdi Hospital,” said the official.
The deceased were identified as Raju Vishwakarma, 30, Rajesh Vishwakarma, 36, Bhavesh Parekh, 51, and Sudama Lallan Singh, 36. All the four were pronounced brought dead by doctors. “Two of them died of smoke inhalation as they were stuck inside the public toilet, while the other two suffered burn injuries in addition to smoke inhalation. After the post-mortem and documentation, the bodies were handed over to the family,” the doctor added.
Mashudhan Lallansingh, brother of Sudama Lallansingh, lamented that it was only ten days before that his brother had returned from their home state of Bihar. It is shocking news for the family, as he had returned after celebrating Chhath Pooja. He was the only breadwinner of the family. We have still not informed his wife about his death,” said Mashudhan.
The body of his brother and another persons were found inside the bathroom, where they had gone to get a bucket of water to douse the fire. There was a bucket in their hands when their bodies were found. When they went inside the bathroom the door got locked and then blocked by the roof which collapsed in the fire, so they were stuck and the place was filled with smoke, choking them to death,” Mashudhan said.