Mumbai: After 11-year-old girl dies of electrocution, society office-bearers booked for negligence

Bhayandar: Less than 36 hours after a 11-year-old girl was electrocuted after coming in contact with the iron gate while playing in the garden of her residential complex, the Mira Road police  on Monday booked the office-bearers of Sandstone Cooperative Housing Society, for negligence causing death.

However no arrests have been made so far. While another 12-year-old girl had to be hospitalised, five others who received the electric jolt were fortunate to escape unhurt. Following a complaint registered by the father of the deceased girl Shruti Ram Yadav, the police registered an FIR against the chairperson, secretary, treasurer and committee members of the plush residential complex which consists of 323 apartments in six high rise towers.  It is suspected that current from exposed wires ran through the gate of the garden. Some residents thronged the Mira Road police station late on Sunday night, seeking action against those responsible for negligence and poor maintenance which had led to the tragedy.  The police have  slapped sections 336 ( endangering life or personal safety of others) and  304 (A) against the suspects for causing death by negligence. “I have lost my daughter and pray  that no other parent meets with such a fate. It’s a clear case of negligence, as the society office bearers had ignored to complaints in this context registered by members six months back. Had they rectified the problems, my daughter would have been alive.” said a teary eyed Ram Yadav.

“We have registered a FIR against the office bearers, further action will follow.” confirmed investigating officer- PSI Narendra Kore. Officials from the Public Works Department inspected the garden and examined the wiring and other electrical fittings, their reports are awaited.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal