Representational image
Representational image

Mumbai: Doctors from the Zen Multispecialty Hospital, Chembur, recently removed a 3.5 cm pin stuck in the lungs of an 18-year-old woman who had accidentally gulped it which she kept in her mouth on November 21. Dr Arvind Kate, Pulmonologist at Zen Multispecialty Hospital, said the patient, Inaya Shaikh (name changed), accidentally gulped the pin which she kept in her mouth while adjusting her scarf. She was immediately taken to nearby doctor.

“They tried to remove the pin by endoscopy but failed. Hence she was taken to another hospital but the result was same. It was already three medical college and two hospitals which failed to remove the pin through endoscopy. A doctor at Goa hospital advised surgical removal could be an option but family denied for the same,” added Dr Kate.

He further said the patient came with the X-ray report showing the pin in the lung. It can damage important blood vessels of heart and lung if not removed immediately. Also there was danger of infection as pin was inside the body for six days. “It was very complicated situation to decide whether open surgery or other invasive procedures to be performed. Removal of a pin by bronchoscopy is difficult, because it can pierce the lung parenchyma,” Dr Kate said.

Dr Roy Patankar, Director of Zen Multispecialty Hospital says, “Our skilled expert team of doctor and advanced technology helps in handling such critical cases. People should keep in mind that in such cases ignorance can lead to complications and therefore immediate medical assistance can help to prevent the damage.”

(To view our epaper please click here. For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal