The Maratha community has taken out its biggest-ever protest rally in Mumbai today. The rally has started from Jijamata Udyan in Byculla at 11 am and will conclude at Azad Maidan near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus by 5 pm. The use of drones, CCTVs, technical surveillance and 7,000 police personnel have been assigned to avoid traffic chaos and ensure that the protest doesn’t lead to any law and order problem. In order to ensure a smooth traffic flow, the traffic police have diverted and closed some of the routes.
- Schools and colleges from Dadar to South Mumbai to remain shut.
- Train services are running smoothly on all the three lines – Western, Central and Harbour.
- Lal Baug Flyover closed to avoid chaos.
- Office goers to bear the brunts and struggling to get taxis. Taxi union leader AL Quadros has appealed to Kaali Peeli taxi drivers to be on road today and ferry commuters.
- Heavy police bandobast across Mumbai. Medical arrangement by BMC at various spots.
- Visuals of Maratha Kranti Morcha at JJ flyover.
- Shiv Sena MLAs protesting outside Maharashtra Assembly extending support to the rally.
- Mumbai BJP chief Ashish Shelar prevented from entering Azad Maidan.
- Congestion on Eastern Freeway. Traffic on the Western Expressway is flowing smoothly.
- To avoid congestion toll naka at Mulund East kept free today.
- Ambedkar Road is shut as protesters march along its North bound corridor.
- Traffic police cordon off roads towards Azad Maidan.
- About 108 ambulances and 21 civic doctors have been deployed at Rani Baug to provide aid to protesters.
- Railway authorities announce running of 8 special trains during non-peak hours. This includes 2 trains each running from Kalyan to CSMT, CSMT to Kalyan, Panvel to CSMT and CSMT to Panvel.
Published on: Wednesday, August 09, 2017, 02:35 PM IST
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)