Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Monday said the Centre has extended tur dal procurement by National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation (NAFED) till May 31.
Fadnavis, who was in Delhi, thanked the Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh in a tweet for ‘extending the date for tur procurement by NAFED till 31st May 2017 for another one lakh ton tur”.
With a bumper crop of tur and falling prices, BJP-led Maharashtra government is under fire from opposition for allegedly not making proper arrangements for procurement.
In his visit to Delhi, the chief minister stressed to get permission to procure at least 2 lakh tonne tur. However, Centre has allowed to procure additional 1 lakh tonne tur through NAFED, the nodal agency.
“Major relief to tur growing farmers. We have requested for another 1,00,000 ton tur purchase, to which GoI has in principally agreed,” Fadnavis tweeted. Talking to reporters in Delhi, he said so far five lakh tons of tur has been procured in the state.
During the Congress-NCP regime, there was tur production of 13 lakh tons but the procurement was only 20,000 tons, he claimed.
The state has procured 40 lakh tonne tur till April 22, the date on which the procurement was stopped by the union government. Opposition brought pressure over state government to allow procure tur dal even after April 22 as Dhananjay Munde, leader of opposition (LoP) had claimed, the procurement is not more than 30 percent as compare to total production.
Leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Council Dhananjay Munde recently demanded scrapping of various conditions for procurement of tur in the state, alleging that only 20 per cent of the produce has been procured so far.