Indore: With one more patient tested positive on Tuesday, the toll of positive swine flu patients so far reached six in city. The deadly disease has already claimed two lives in this season in city, while its outbreak across the country has increasingly become a cause of serious concern. Experts have claimed that people falling prey to H1N1 virus mostly have a travel history.

According to district in charge of Integrated Diseases Surveillance Programmme (IDSP), Dr Asha Pandit, “A 58-year-old patient from Sonkatchh has been admitted to Bombay Hospital after he was tested positive of swine flu.” “Though reports of some samples are still pending, his condition is stable and he is kept under observation,” the IDSP officer informed.

Meanwhile, a senior official of health department said that patients have been facing serious consequences of the city not having any virology lab. In absence of such diagnostic system, patients are forced to wait for at least three-four days to get report, delaying targeted treatment. Also, “Taking advantage of the scenario, some of the hospitals are even retaining patients in the name of swine flu till the report is out,” he said.

Meanwhile, a former professor of MGM Medical College, who is currently working with a private hospital, said that at least one suspected patient of swine flu succumbs to the deadly disease every day in city’s private hospitals. He also alleged that “Private hospitals get the report of H1N1 samples positive through private laboratories. Such reports are not accepted by government authorities.”

However, health department claimed that they have already tightened noose on private hospitals and also asked them to follow prescribed guidelines and send sample for swine flu confirmation, only when the patient falls under category C. “We have directed hospitals to follow guidelines. People too should remain vigilant and lodge complaint against the hospitals violating norms. We will take immediate action even up to the extent of suspending hospital registration if needed,” Dr Pandit said.

No. of dengue patients reach 9 with 2 fresh cases

Amid H1N1 scare, the city has also been witnessing serious attack by vector-borne diseases, mainly dengue. According to Dr Pandit two more patients have been tested dengue positive, taking the total number of patients to nine. “A 10-year-old patient and a 58-year-old resident of CAT have been found positive of dengue. We have informed the revelation to concerned health officials an also, asked them to carry out a survey in the area and spread awareness on the disease,” she said.

At least one suspected patient of swine flu succumbs to the deadly disease every day in city’s private hospitals. Private hospitals get the report of H1N1 samples positive through private laboratories. Such reports are not accepted by government authorities

– Former professor of MGM Medical College

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in