Indore: More than 100 people fell sick after consuming food at a marriage function at Chandan Nagar on Sunday night. Patients were admitted to District Hospital in midnight with the complaint of vomiting and nausea. However, most of the patients were discharged after primary treatment and around 10 patients are still under observation.
According to Civil Surgeon Dr Dilip Acharya, the incident took place in Street 8, Chandan Nagar where the wedding reception of one Shahzad Khan was arranged. “Around 1 AM, people who ate food at the party started vomiting and complained of loose motion. Large number of patients started reaching the hospital with complaints of vomiting and loose motion. The number of patients rose to 110 by 2 am,” Dr Acharya said.
He said that most of the patients were discharged from the hospital after primary treatment while 8 to 10 patients are still under observation. Patients still under treatment are identified as Salma Islamuddin (38), Shamshad Nisar (43), Sultana Shakeel (39), Sheru (55), Parveen Hussain (40), Shabnam Barkat Ali (12) and Roz Asharaf (11). Meanwhile, a team of food and drug administration department has collected samples of food items and report is awaited.
Four doctors dealt with situation midnight
District Hospital is infamous for referring patients to Maharaja Yashwantrao Hospital but in this case, Civil Surgeon Dr Dilip Acharya didn’t allow the staff to refer any patient and reached the hospital at 1 AM with three other doctors for handling the situation.
“We reached at the hospital immediately after getting information about the incident and also informed administration and police about the increasing number of patients. We had called three 108 Ambulances in case the patients were to be shifted as we had strength of admitting 17-20 patients only,” Dr Acharya added.
Previous cases of mass food poisoning
More than 100 people had fallen ill due to food poisoning after taking food in a marriage party in Khajrana in February 2016. Similarly, more than 300 people of Bohara community had fallen sick in a gathering at Saify Nagar Community Hall.