Indore: Now, plagiarism in academic writing by students and teachers of higher educational institutions will not go unpunished. Academic writing includes thesis, dissertation, research work and penning books.
The University Grants Commission has come up with UGC (Promotion of Academic Integrity and Prevention of Plagiarism in Higher Education Institutions) Regulations, 2018, to promote originality. The UGC notified the regulations on July 31.
As per regulations, academic misconduct by a student may lead to cancellation of registration for course. Harsh action will be taken against teacher or researcher for plagiarism. Their annual increments will be stopped and publication of their research can be banned for up to three years.
As per regulation, a researcher can include findings of other research up to 10 percent as reference in his or her research work. Earlier, it was 30 percent. “With these regulations, obtaining doctoral research degree will become more difficult. Publication of research work will also decline drastically,” said Prof Ashutosh Mishra, former DAVV vice-chancellor.
Academics have welcomed the draft but denounced UGC’s bid to lower bar of plagiarism from 30 percent to 10 percent and provisions of harsher penalty on faculty members and researchers for academic misconduct.
Penalty for students
- Plagiarism between 10% to 40%- Student will be asked to submit a revised script within a stipulated time period not exceeding six months.
- Plagiarism between 40% to 60%- Student will be debarred from submitting a revised script for one year.
- Plagiarism above 60%- Student’s registration for the programme will be cancelled.
- Penalties for faculty, staff and researcher
- Plagiarism between 10% to 40%: They will be asked to withdraw manuscript submitted for publication and will not be allowed to publish work for one year.
- Plagiarism between 40% to 60%: They will be asked to withdraw manuscript submitted for publication and will not be allowed to publish any work for two years. Will be denied one annual increment, will not be allowed to be a supervisor of UG, PG, Master’s, MPhil, PhD student/scholar for two years.
- Plagiarism above 60%: They will be asked to withdraw manuscript submitted for publication, will be barred from publishing any work for three years, will be denied two successive annual increments. Will not be allowed to be a supervisor of UG, PG, Master’s, MPhil, PhD student/scholar three years.