Indore: Elderly couple, grandson charred to death

In a tragic incident, an elderly couple and their grandson were charred to death when major fire broke out in a dilapidated house in Chhipabakhal, which falls under Malharganj police station area. The incident took place at about 3.30 am when the family was asleep. Police, fire brigade and local residents saved seven people of 10-member family though three couldn’t be rescued.

According to fire brigade officials, three persons including  Salim Hussain (65), his wife Nazma Be (60) and their 15-year-old grandson Qasim Ameen were burned to death in the fire. Preliminary investigation revealed that fire broke out due to short circuit. Fire spread as a cloth bundle caught fire.

After learning about the incident, Salim Hussain pushed seven members of family out of the house and he rushed to bring his wife Nazma and grandson Qasim from last room of the house. “At the time when Salim was trying to rescue all the family members, a part of the wooden floor of the house collapsed and the trio stuck in fire,” officials said.  Police and fire brigade took help of JCB and Poclain machine to take out the bodies, which were stuck in debris of burnt house.

“We controlled fire in few hours but couldn’t rescue three family members. First body was found during initial operation but other bodies were taken out after six to seven hours of operation,” fire brigade officials said.Out of 10 members in the family, seven family members – Irfan, Imran, Ameen, Ajban, Rayan and Shabnam were rescued with the help of neighbours.

Local residents installed motor  pumps to control fire
Learning about the incident, local residents tried to control the fire and installed water pumps in their houses. Continuing rescue operation, fire brigade and police asked neighbours to vacate house fearing that Hussain’s house may collapse. The rescue operation continued till Monday noon, hours after the incident.

Family runs hosiery business
According to local residents, the family was living in a house, which was more than 100 years old. The family members run hosiery business due to which they had kept a huge bundle of cloth in the house, which caught fire.

Cong-BJP candidates reach house
Candidates of Congress and BJP from Indore-1, Sanjay Shukla and Sudarshan Gupta reached the spot and assured family members of all possible help.

(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal