Who is Monika Ghurde?
- Monika Ghurde was born in Nagpur to Ramesh Ghurde, a judge in the small-causes court in Mumbai.
- Monika had graduated in graphic design and photography from JJ Institute of Applied Arts in Mumbai. She had also practised photography for over a decade.
- Monika moved to Chennai in 2009 to launch her first perfume making company and lab called the ‘MO Lab’.
- She was also the co-founder of Graf Publishing, a design and publishing company.
- Monika used to conduct smell workshops across the world and was also involved in collaboration projects in Europe and New York.
- She was married to the well-known lensman Bharat Ramamrutham in 2011 and shifted to Goa.
- Since the last one year she used to stay alone in Sapna Raj Valley — close to Goa’s famous Calangute beach and about 10 km from capital Panaji.
The 39-year old perfumer was found dead at her Goa’s residence on October 6 by her maid. Police investigations revealed that she was killed a day earlier.
22-year-old Rajkumar Singh alias Rajesh, used to work as a security guard at Ghurde’s apartment, has been arrested in Bengaluru. Singh was on the run after the crime and was arrested on Sunday after a joint operation conducted by Goa and Basavanagudi police.
On Saturday, the accused withdrew Rs 50,000 using Ghurde’s debit card in Bengaluru. He even posted a selfie on Facebook clicked outside an apparel shop. These activities were traced by the Goa police and a trap was laid.
In his confession Singh said that he entered her apartment by pointing a knife at her and demanded money from her. She told him that she doesn’t have any cash with her and instead handed over her debit cards along with the PIN. She further offered him refreshments and assured him that she will not disclose the incident to anyone. Ghurde later snatched the knife from Singh’s hand and began to scream. In an attempt to quiet her scream Singh picked a pillow and pressed it on her mouth. He further revealed that before smothering her using the pillow, he tied her to bed and even tried to rape her.
Singh used to work as a security guard at Sapana Valley where he was fired for stealing Ghurde’s umbrella. The main motive behind the murder was to take revenge.
However, the police are ascertaining more details in the case and have ruled out the possibility of Singh using any accomplice.