Mumbai: Thirteen hours after a goods train caught fire near Dahanu in Palghar district on Thursday night, the movement of trains towards Ahmedabad was restored. This had resulted in delaying, cancelling or short terminating several long distance trains, said senior railway officials on Friday.
According to an official, the incident occurred 6 km from Vangaon station at around 10.45 pm on Thursday, when two boggies of a goods train containing plastic granules was coming from Surat towards Uran in Raigad district caught fire. “The 15th and 16th wagons caught fire after the overhead wire snapped and fell on the moving train. Power supply was immediately turned off, halting both up and down traffic. The fire was caused due to sparks from the overhead wire, as it carries around 25,000V current and huge balls of fire were seen,” said Mahendra Singh, Railway Protection Force inspector.
“The blaze was doused at 2 am on Friday. A probe is underway to ascertain the exact cause of the fire,” added Singh. According to Ravinder Bhakar, Chief Public Relations Officer, Western Railway, the fire was reported on Thursday night between Dahanu Road and Vangaon stations of Western Railway. The fire brigade from Dahanu Road was called in immediately, but could not reach the site as the access road was muddy. An accident relief van was ordered from Valsad at 11.12 pm. A diesel loco from Valsad and another from Virar left for the site.
The WR cancelled some long-distance trains. “Train 59024/59023 (Valsad-Mumbai Central-Valsad) and 12935 (Bandra T- Surat) are cancelled today, while train no. 22954 (Ahmedabad-Mumbai Central) is short terminated at Surat,” the WR tweeted. A WR official said, “The suburban services between Dahanu Road and Virar stations were stopped after the incident. However, train services, including those on the suburban route, were restored by 9.10 am on Friday.”