Mumbai : A marriage ceremony almost cost the life of three-year-old Aiza Chaudhary, who had accidentally gulped down a supari during the programme, which got stuck in her lung, but no one knew about it until she developed pneumonia.
The doctor said they had recovered a one-cm supari from her lung which blocked her windpipe for more than a month. The incident took place last month, A resident of Kurla, Aiza, had gone to a marriage ceremony with her parents where she gulped down a supari. “We did not know until Aiza developed a severe breathing problem which was later diagnosed with pneumonia,” said the father who works in a private shop.
He further added that her condition was deteriorating, when doctors suggested that a CT scan be conducted.
“The report show-ed that a supari was stuck in the left lobe of her lung. As if that was not enough, further investigation showed that it led to a blockage in her windpipe,” said Dr Pratibha Singhal, Chest Physician, Interventional pulmonologist, Bombay Hospital.
Later, she was taken to hospital where doctors tried to perform two rigid bronchoscopies, but could not remove it. In the second attempt, the supari went further inside Then she was referred to Bombay Hospital where Dr Singhal performed flexible bronchoscopy and removed the supari on Friday. “The child is now stable,” said Dr Singhal.