Srinagar : Two youth, including a budding cricketer, were killed on Tuesday in Handwara, about 85 kms from here, when Army opened fire to disperse a stone-pelting mob which was protesting against alleged molestation of a girl by some of its personnel.

 Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said the security personnel involved in the killing of the youth will be given exemplary punishment as such incidents cannot be tolerated since these have a “negative impact” on the state government’s efforts to consolidate peace efforts. Army ordered an inquiry while Jammu and Kashmir Police registered a criminal case and began investigations into the incident which triggered more protests in Handwara and had an echo in Srinagar and Pulwama districts of Kashmir as well. Trouble started with protests by locals in Handwara over alleged molestation of the girl student. Giving details of the incident, the police spokesman said within minutes of alleged incident of molestation by an army man, public in large numbers gathered there and attacked the army bunker in Handwara chowk.

They assaulted the personnel deployed there, ransacked the bunker and attempted to set fire to the bunker, he said.

“In retaliation, the security forces deployed (there) used force to disperse the violent rampaging mob. In the process, two individuals — Mohammad Iqbal and Nayeem Qadir Bhat sustained fire-arm injuries,” the spokesman said. “They were evacuated to hospital where they, unfortunately, succumbed to their injuries,” he said, adding police deeply “regrets the loss of life”. The police spokesman said a criminal case has been registered into the Handwara incident and investigations started to ascertain the facts.  Nayeem, a student of Government Degree College Handwara, was a budding top order batsman, who had attended an Under-19 national level camp three years ago, his friends said.

(To download our E-paper please click here. The publishers permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal