Mumbai: Vicky Sharma 23 death in fire at Kadam Chowl SRA Building Andheri west. Photo by BL SONI
Mumbai: Vicky Sharma 23 death in fire at Kadam Chowl SRA Building Andheri west. Photo by BL SONI

Mumbai: Lack of basic training to the residents for using fire extinguishers is one of the major reason for the massive fire which broke out in the Slum Rehabilation Authority (SRA) tower, Andheri on Tuesday. The residents of the building claim they had reached the spot where the fire broke out, but could not douse it with the fire extinguishers, which are installed on all the floors of the building.

The residents claim, they could have saved the two innocent lives, who were charred to death in the fire, but they failed to do so only because women members of the society were trained to use the equipments. And when the fire broke out, most of the women members were panicked and only men were trying to douse the fire.

“We all had reached the incident spot in ten minutes but due to lack of training in handling fire fighting equipments and water shortage in our reserve tank we could not do much to save them,” said one of the residents. He further added as the training session were done during the working days due to which they did not had any knowledge of handling fire extinguisher. “There were a two or three sessions during which women residents were trained in handling the fire extinguishers. Moreover we do not had enough water in our reserve fire tank to douse of the fire,” said Sachin Parab, a resident.

Fire which broke out in the 10th floor of the Andheri’s SRA towers on Monday night, claiming a life of two residents including a seven-year-old Sagar Sharma. But it could have been more worse as the family members were expecting seven to eight guests to attend the Chhat Puja celebrations at their home.

“The casualties would have been increase as the family was expecting seven to eight relatives to join them in celebrations. Many were yet to arrive and some were accommodated in meeting hall of the society due to space restrains. Fortunately, other family members, present in the house were able to find shelter in the bedroom after the incident and were later rescued by fire officials.,” said Sajid Shaikh, a neighbour of Sharma.

The fire allegedly broke out after a lamp in the house came in contact with leaking CNG from cylinder used for cooking. While Lalkishore Sharma, present in the hall at the time of the incident, suffered 30 per cent burn injuries his son Vicky (25) and grandson Sagar (7) who were also besides him and were close to the fire breakout, suffered over 90 per cent burns and were pronounced dead on arrival at Cooper Hospital. Doctors from the hospital said Sharma suffered injuries on his hand, legs and back but took discharge against medical advice as he wanted to be a part of the final rites proceedings of his son and grandson.

Mumbai : Sagar Sharma 06 death in fire at SRA Building Andheri west. Photo by BL SONI
Mumbai : Sagar Sharma 06 death in fire at SRA Building Andheri west. Photo by BL SONI

(For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in