Photo by Bhushan Koyande
Photo by Bhushan Koyande

Mumbai: Around 12,000 tonnes of debris and garbage was thrown out by sea along the Marine Drive promenade in south Mumbai during the high tide last week, the Bombay High Court was told today.

“Around 12000 tonnes of debris and garbage, thrown into the promenade during the high tide last week, has been cleared from Marine Drive by municipal workers,” said Shehzad Naqvi representing the petitioner.

City-based NGO ‘Citizens Circle for Social Welfare and Education’ had filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) seeking direction to authorities concerned to frame guidelines on garbage and debris disposal and its discharge into the sea.

Naqvi told the HC that authorities are ideally supposed to discharge the garbage or debris into sea at a farther distance from the coastline.

A division bench of Justices A S Oka and Riyaz Chagla noted that the petition raises important issues and an urgent hearing was required.

The bench then posted the PIL for hearing on July 30.

(To download our E-paper please click here. The publishers permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)

Free Press Journal

www.freepressjournal.in