The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the tourism and hospitality sector along with the technology companies operating in the tourism and hospitality sector. To empower the voice of smaller operators in the ecosystem, travel, and hospitality tech players – OYO, along with Airbnb, EaseMyTrip, and Yatra – have come together to form an association – Confederation of Hospitality, Technology and Tourism Industry (CHATT).
During the virtual launch of CHATT, Prahlad Singh Patel, Minister for Tourism and Culture (Independent Charge), Government of India, said, “CHATT’s formation is a landmark decision to boost India’s robust domestic tourism market and support small hotel partners, homeowners, agents to expand their offerings catering to the needs of tourists. The Tourism Ministry is continuously making efforts to make the data available of hotels, home-stays on the unified portal – NIDHI to benefit tourists and CHATT will play a crucial role in it.”
Arvind Singh, Secretary Tourism – Government of India said, “The efforts of CHATT are highly inclusive and once the impact of the second wave subsides – a group like CHATT will present greater economic impact. Technology is at the forefront of many initiatives at the Ministry of Tourism and we look forward to closely working with CHATT to strengthen the sector.”
The association comprises Amanpreet Bajaj, General Manager, Airbnb – India, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan; Dhruv Shringi, Co-Founder and CEO – Yatra.com; Nishant Pitti, Co- Founder & CEO – EaseMyTrip.com; and Rohit Kapoor, CEO – OYO India & Southeast Asia.
Role of CHATT
CHATT aims to:
- promote domestic tourism,
- lead the digital transformation of tourism-related business and operating models,
- proactively engage via advocacy programmes to be a thought leader,
- impart educational training and beneficial programs to all industry segments.
- Every member will be able to access all CHATT resources and benefits, including participation in year-round programs, signature business events, access to the travel-tech ecosystem, including the experts and regional leads among others.