Mumbai : Barred by Sebi from accessing capital markets, realty giant DLF sought interim relief from Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) to allow it to redeem funds locked in mutual funds and other instruments, reports PTI.
After hearing the petition filed by India’s largest realty developer last week against the ban, SAT Presiding Officer J P Devadhar adjourned the matter to October 30, and sought response from the capital markets regulator on DLF’s plea for an interim relief.
Pleading for relief, the Delhi-based realtor said it needs to redeem funds, including around Rs 2,000 crore locked in mutual funds as also through redemption of some bonds worth thousands of crores, but the Sebi has restrained it and six others including top executives from tapping capital markets for three years.
The full SAT Bench was headed by Devadhar and comprised of members Jog Singh and A S Lamba.
Devadhar observed that Sebi, while passing its order, should have envisaged the impact of its regulatory actions on the investors, who have lost more than Rs 7,500 crore of their wealth following the unprecedented ban imposed last week.
“What were you doing all these seven years and when the company applied for IPO way back in 2007? Why didn’t you envisage the impact of your actions on the investors as they have lost more than Rs 7,500 crore of their wealth even as you try to be a world class regulator?” Devadhar asked the regulator’s counsel Jamshed Cama.
To this, the Sebi counsel said if DLF were to be believed, they did not disclose information about three subsidiaries (Sudipti, Shalika and Felicite) during IPO launch arguing that they were of no material value. Sebi also questioned DLF’s decision to allow wives of senior executives to remain invested in those firms.