Bhopal: The state bank of India (SBI) would have incurred a loss of over 10 lakh, for neglecting the orders of police department to deploy a guard at its ATM kiosks. On the intervening night of Wednesday and Thursday- after their failed attempt of break-in at SBI ATM kiosk- the miscreants managed to make off with the devices installed there in.DIG Bhopal Irshaad Wali said the police have instructed the bank officials on at least three occasions that a guard is deployed in the kiosks. If not at least hidden cameras and alarm system should be active in such kiosks, he added.
He said that their communication has been in vain as in Kolar incident the miscreants were inside the kiosk for over an hour but no alarm was raised by either the kiosk or from any other quarter. The incident highlights the imperatives of a guard at these ATMs, which none of the banks have taken seriously. Several break-ins at the ATMs have been reported in Bhopal, in last one year. The Free Press carried out a survey and found that the ATMs from new Bhopal to old city areas are equally unsafe and have not deployed any guard.
- The ATM of Union bank of India (UBI) near Nehru Nagar square is located near a wine shop. Not only is its entry gate broken but also the kiosk has no guard for years. The ATM remains filled with cash and is vulnerable to break-in.
- The Bank of India (BOI) ATM at the airport road is also located on a busy road and is used by thousands of visitors and others. In the absence of any security guard the ATM will prove to be an easy target of break-in.
- A Punjab National Bank (PNB) ATM at Jawahar square we went was also found sans any guard.
- At Kohefiza colony in old Bhopal, the ATM of State Bank of India (SBI) stands sans a guard. The kiosk lies near the Lal Ghati on a busy road and is vulnerable to loss of money or device. Not only this, no guard is deployed in any building in the vicinity.
- The SBI kiosk near IIFM has no guard. The kiosk is used by students of the campus among others.