BHOPAL: “Bhopal’s journey to the second top position in Swachhta Survekshan was not that easy. Bhopal municipal corporation took the cleanliness contest as a challenge since its very announcement by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 2, 2015 and with constant support of the citizens won the second position among 500 other cities in the country,” said elated BMC commissioner Chavvi Bhardawaj while talking to Free Press.
After brainstorming on the major issues on which the Swachhta Survekshan will be conducted, the BMC prepared action plan to achieve the target. Swachh brand ambassadors were selected, clean Bhopal Sakaratmak Swachh Sangathan and radio jockeys were appointed to create mass awareness, he said.
- 26842 individual household toilets
- 245 public toilets
- 45 community toilets
- Modular toilets made available at all OD spots
Road washing and night Sweeping in all commercial areas
Female convenience facility
- First of its kind She Lounge have been constructed at Bus stop No10 and Polytechnic square
- More under construction in New Market, Bairagarh and Chowk Bazar.
- Towards a low carbon footprint future
- Harit-Train – Green Train
- Segregated idol immersion facility
- Morden transfer station
- Bitten Market Bio Methanation plant
- Next Gene modular toilets.
- Mobile toilets
Solid waste management system
- In accordance with SBM, BMC has deployed various vehicles in and around the city for collection of construction and demolition waste
- 10 transfer stations
- 1000 metric tonnes door to door collection system
- April 1 to 31 – yearly storm water rain cleaning
- 820 rickshaws used in collection of garbage
- 293 vehicles used in garbage collection
- 3000 bins placed all over the city
- 5600 labours used for cleaning purpose
- Rs 60 crore spent on cleaning
Communication and Education
In accordance to SBM, ‘Swachhta Pakhawada’ is being conducted as an IEC activity, among various groups of society for mass awareness
- Short filmmaking competitions
- Largest Swachhta Chain of 21 kilometre
- Outreach campaign for Swachh Map App
- Radio Jingles, FM burst competition
- Thematic drives
- Media coverage
- Social media ambassadors for Bhopal No 1
- Slogan writing and essay writing competition
- Enrolment of Swachhta Grahi
- Accounts were made on twitter @swachh Bhopal and Facebook@swachh Bhopal
- Like mayor and other corporators took regular visit to the areas where the people used to go for open defecation
- Wall Painting Contest, My City My Wall
- Campaign in school and colleges under Swachh Survekshan- students were made aware about the SBM and were given oath and told to participate in keeping clean city green city
- Shadi Me Vachan – an oath to keep city green and clean- Mayor Alok Sharma visited many marriages and conducted oath ceremony of the people attending the marriage to Keep City Green and Clean
- Chai Pe Charcha – Citizen engagement and awareness generation programme – mayor visited many tea stalls and also arranged tea party and discussed about the SBM
- Public consultation and awareness generation programme under Swachh Survekshan
- Mass citizen outreach campaign from November 15,2016 to January 15, 2017
Launch of Swachh Survekshan 2017 campaign from November 15, 2016
- Wall painting contest –My City My Wall on November 12 and 13
- Campaign in school and colleges ‘Let’s make Bhopal No 1’, from November 15 to December 2016.
- Stakeholder meets like RWA, Voluntary organisations, Traders associations at IABT on December 19 and 22, 2016.
Swachh ward and RWA
- Swachh market competition from October 20 to first week of January 2017.
- Second phase My City My Wall with professional artist on December 10 and 11.
- Intensive media campaign from December 15 to January 15.
- Swachh Rath on tour from December 15 to January 15
- Special cleaning drive from December 15 to January 15
- Kiosks established all over city at all major public location