BHOPAL: Negligence by MPEB resulted in death of an adult tigress in Badwara forest range of Umaria district. The tigress had contacted 1100 KV transmission line passing at a very low height through the jungle. The incident came to light when the body started decomposing and rotting smell spread in the area.Range officer of Badwara range KK Sharma talking to Free Press said the field staff who was patrolling in the jungle smelled rotten flesh in Bagdari area on Saturday evening.
The team reached the spot on Sunday morning and found carcass of a tigress and a cow. The tigress was electrocuted after coming into contact with overhead 1100 KV transmission line passing at about 3.5 meters against the standard height of 5 meters. Sharma said the electricity pole was damaged and the officials of MPEB did not replace it. They reinstalled the damaged pole which was just 12- 13 feet ( almost half of its original height). The tigress hunted a cow and came in contact with the live wire in the pursuit. The wire was damaged and the tigress was electrocuted along with the cow.
He said from the records of electricity department they came to know that the electricity supply was disrupted at 4 pm on November 16. The disruption was caused due to the mishap. The post- mortem report proved the death due to electrocution. A case has been registered against MPEB in this regard. He ruled out involvement of poachers in the incident. He said the incident was .