London : The UK High Court has allowed a local council to drop its bid to take the children of two known extremists into social care after the authorities failed to prove the kids were in danger of being radicalised.
The unnamed council had applied to the courts to take five young children into care, fearing they risked suffering emotional and psychological harm because of their parents’ extremist views, The Sunday Telegraph reported.
The children’s father, described as “a leading figure” of the banned UK-based terror organisation Al-Muhajiroun, has been on a terrorist watch list and their mother attended extremist meetings calling for jihad against non-Muslims.
But earlier this week, the council was allowed to drop the care proceedings after it said it could not demonstrate the children had been damaged. Following a seven-day High Court hearing, Justice Knowles agreed there was no evidence they had been harmed, it said.
The case is believed to be one of a number in which councils have dropped plans to take the children of known extremists into care after being unable to prove they were in danger.
The father in the most recent case, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the kids, was found by police to have encouraged others to join Islamic State and had discussed throwing gay men to their deaths from high buildings.